|Back Yard Project|
Jackie's Back Yard Project 2012
In August 2012, I found myself with time on my hands and decided to tackle the job of cleaning and replanting my back yard. My property is 1/3 of an acre, which means a lot of work. I am planning on doing ALL of the work myself except for taking out and trimming the trees. Ground squirrels and rabbits have taken over my yard. First I must get these critters under control. I have decided to trap and release them. Mike got me a cage and I started to process of trapping and releasing them.
This is what you find all over my yard, these are made by ground squirrels.
Once the critters were under control, now it is time to tackel the yard.
Here are some before photos: These photos were taken after I had the trees removed around the old deck area. For those of you who remember the splender of my backyard, it will be back by next summer!
Photo taken from patio looking at the golf course back side yard these concret slabs were the footings for the deck, I broken them up with a sledge hammer
First thing is to kill off the old grass, the ground is too uneven due to the ground squirrel holes to keep the old grass. Once the grass is killed off, I will start to rototill and get the soil ready for seed.
I start to roto-till and rake away the dead grass. In the side yard, I dismantled the swingset. All those memories of the girls playing, and family parties flooded my mind. It took a few hours to complete.
To keep Maggie (dog) out of the work area
I put up chicken wire to keep the dog out of the work area, I am hoping to get her trained to "poop" in a small contained area(you can always dream).
Before I can put down the seed, I have the trees trimmed, and some removed. I also repaired sprinker lines, and replace sprinkler heads. I also got a new timer and rewired and replaced the on/off valves.
While I was clearing the yard, I cut myself on this rod.. had to get a Tetanus shot. Yard before final roto till and raking.
Used a hand shovel on the borders Rented a roller and leveled the soil
Soil leveled, ready to start. Had a dump truck load of top soil delivered.
Used the wheel barrel to transport the top soil Done and rolled again
Done. Recheck the sprinklers for proper coverage.
Two weeks later, with the scalloped border.
Now for the side yard!
Same yard, different angles...
Found two drains in grass... This one the roto tiller mangled, I had to dig it up and fix it.
Had to remove an elephant ear philodendron, the roots on this took me days to remove!
Also had to remove roots from a pine and pepper tree. A large root I removed
The side yard proved to be more labor intensive, I also had to have trees trimmed.
Maggie helping me shovel the borders, and dig out the sprinklers. November 24 (Saturday) I rented the roller and started putting down the seed, Marie(sister in-law) is helping me.
Marie loading up top soil Took us 3 hours, it is done, and the fence is up to keep Maggie off of it. Would have taken me double the time, thanks Marie!
Next day, I moved the remaining top soil to my new garden area and hosed off the patio. Need to chop up that large root!
It has been raining since this was done... will keep you posted on my progress.... now for the two garden areas.