I am a member of the CVC. We ride Saturday mornings. Come join us!
See Conejo Valley Cyclist for more information.
Benefits Of Cycling
Cycling is a great fun activity that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults alike. A fantastic workout, it not only enables you to derive pleasure, but also goes a long way in ensuring your overall fitness. The best part about this sporting activity is that, you would find cycling a delightful experience, without even realizing that it has done good to your body. Cycling proves to be one of the most effective exercises, to shed off those extra calories and get rid of flabby abs. Even a small amount of cycling can prove to be good enough to boost your metabolism level, thereby fastening your weight loss program. It helps to improve the overall balance and coordination. The benefits of cycling go beyond health issues. To know more about the numerous benefits of cycling, read through the following lines.
- Cycling minimizes the risk of coronary heart disease. Essentially an aerobic exercise, it gives your heart, blood vessels and lungs a workout, thereby reducing the risk of heart problems.
- A few miles of cycling per day assure trimmer and toned muscles. This is because your upper thigh muscles, backside and calf muscles all get to workout.
- Pursuing cycling helps a great deal in building your stamina. It enables you to carry out your day-to-day activities more effectively.
- For people, who are on the heavier side, cycling can prove to be beneficial. It manages weight and helps in getting rid of increased waistline and bulging fat.
- The pleasure and satisfaction attained while riding a bicycle alleviates all the stress, anxiety and depression of a person.
- This might come to you as a surprise, but cycling ensures a control in the level of blood pressure.
- Cycling enhances the overall fitness level of a person. It makes you breathe deeper and perspire more, thereby leading to a feeling of enhanced body temperature.
- Cycling has found to be effective for treating people diagnosed with diabetes and cancer.
- A complete leisure activity, cycling gives you the opportunity to spend time with friends.
- A chance to meet new people and discover new places cannot be ruled out as well.
- Cycling is a complete environmental friendly activity. Unlike other means of transport, it lets out no harmful chemicals in the air.
Spinning/indoor cycling is an exercise that involves cycling on a specially designed stationary bicycle. The bicycle, called a spinning bike, plays music and includes motivational talk that assists you through a visualization of an outdoor cycling workout. Originally designed by a word class cyclist to help train for races, spinning has since become a popular exercise for fat burning and general endurance training. It is estimated that a one hour spinning session will burn approximately 400-700 calories. The reason the exercise can achieve such significant results is due to the nature of the exercise. Spinning involves intense sprinting for 30 seconds then a short rest period followed by another intense sprinting session. This interval based training method is very effective for losing weight.
This is a group exercise that is usually taught in classes. For people who need motivation to keep in shape, spinning classes are worth a try. Spinning is an interactive experience that not only involves other students, but special music and lighting to keep the experience fresh and varied.
One of the nice things about indoor cycling is that it is a structured exercise program. Sessions usually last at least half an hour and can run past an hour. Spinning bikes are designed to offer a variety of training paths that include: sprints, climbs and long distance tracks. You are also given control over resistance which allows you to control the difficulty of the spinning session; this is especially useful for beginners who need something challenging enough to provide a workout, but not too demanding to discourage future sessions.
Another appeal of indoor cycling is that it can be done year round. For people who regularly cycle outdoors, spinning offers the option of keeping up a challenging workout and routine even during off seasons. The options offered by spinning bikes allow a great deal of flexibility in designing an effective indoor workout. Spinning bikes can be customized for cadence (pedal rate), resistance, and body position. All three of these will influence the relative difficulty or ease of the workout.
Indoor cycling can be both anaerobic, short, intense bursts of energy that builds muscle strength or aerobic, slower, longer, and less intense exercise that builds muscle endurance. The type of workout can be adjusted by simply increasing resistance, pedal rate or workout path. Spinning is great for both endurance and cardiovascular training. It can also be used to build significant muscle in the quadriceps or upper thigh region.